We know it’s difficult
It takes a lot of courage to ask for help. We know it can be difficult to talk about what’s troubling you. There is no rush, you can take your time. Talking about your concerns can be an important step in confronting your worries, hearing a caring voice can give you the strength to keep going and know you are not alone.
What happens when you call?
- You don’t have to give your name or any personal information.
- Our phones do not display any caller information.
- We will listen and help you talk through your concerns, worries and troubles.
- We will focus on your thoughts and feelings rather than going into the details, so we may ask questions to help explore how you feel.
- We won’t make decisions for you; we believe you are the expert on your life.
- We will sensitively discuss your options and explore your feelings
- We can help you connect to services, organizations and support in the community.
- We won’t talk about ourselves. We’re there to give you time, space and support – you don’t need to ask how we are, or give us time in return.
- We don’t impose any personal attitudes or beliefs on you.
One of the questions we’ll ask might be about whether you’re suicidal. By asking the question, we’re just giving you the space to talk about these feelings if you want to.
Generally you will speak to a different volunteer each time you call.
Our priority is to make sure you get support from someone as quickly as possible, so we’ll find the first available volunteer.
Our support workers are trained in a wide range of issues, including HIV, pregnancy options, LGBTQ issues, eating disorders, and substance abuse, as well as emergency situations and suicide— no problem is too big, or small.
What does a call cost?
Our services are open and free to everyone across Japan who speaks English. However the cost of a call to the TELL Lifeline is, unfortunately, not free. The cost of the call will depend on where you are calling from and if you are using a landline or mobile phone. Some callers use the internet to place calls at a cheaper rate.
We are constantly seeking financial support and hope to offer a 24-hour service and toll-free number in the future. Your donations help make a difference in people’s lives.